Wednesday, February 16, 2011

THE POWER OF SEX!


 It all began here. In Mkhambathini. In the middle of nowhere. I must have driven for two hours. Through forests, sugarcane plantations. Asking myself...where to? Until I came through a mountainous area. Humid, dusty but with life. People.

I had a discussion with the village women, girls and men about the HIV issues. I came to do a motivation but in turn I received education. Life in the city is another life a continent from people in the rural areas. I used to think it was bad in my village, until I came here. I guess the eye gets used to the common faces and one miss the pain and traumas of life in them. It is easy to say, 'Pick yourself up'. But I've began to ask how, when and the answers are within each and everyone residing in those mountainous villages.

One woman asked me to come to her home and speak to her husband, actually force him to get tested and wear a condom. This young Mama is HIV positive, on ARVs. The husband refuse to test, or to condomise. But forces her to have unprotected sex. She has experienced physical abuse because of her choices to protect herself and take ARVs. I was scared, I still I am. To go to a Zulu man's home, and discuss bedroom business. I feel I am not 'old' enough to handle those issues. My traditional background threatens me. Thank God 'unompilo' jumps in and directs her to some help. Her mother, uGOGO jumps in as well. She confesses that she has been taken to izinduna, Councillors since she has moved to another bedroom and refuses to sleep with her husband due to his refusal to wear protection. I was flabbergasted and proud. A old woman put through explaining to a group of men, why she has left the bedroom. She informed us that, she told the group of men to ask her husband why she has left the bedroom, cause he knows. Now imagine, having to explain to other men, not one, but a group why you have left your bedroom. Shocking. But I love her stamina and vigor. It has been three years. I am extremely proud. I asked the young Mama, you can  learn something from your mother. She looked at me with some hope. The old Gogo, stressed that she has told her to do the same, but she is scared, he will leave her with his six kids.

These stories are the same to the four districts I've been to. The other touching one was the health worker who highlighted the problem with people taking ARVs. They stop taking them because there is no food in the home. I immediately sighed out, thank God for my brown bead and milk at home. It may not seem much, but thinking that, there are people stressed out by living with HIV with no food in the stomach but supposed to take medication. I was touched.  I am gonna do something about that. I don't know what, but I am gonna do something about that. It can't go on.

I still have 6 visits to do this month. I know the stories will be the same every district but also different. One thing I can smile about is that, I love SA. I love Africa and I adore my village people. I am enjoying seeing the country side it's a dream come true. I believe God has send me to these places for a reason and I am not gonna take it lightly. I wanna give people home, life and let them find their purpose in this world.

Intando yakho mayenziwe.

No comments: